finally bb free on 05/10/2010
We lived in this home from 2002-2007. My son had some legal issues in 2005 and was placed in various detention centers in the juvenille division. At his final placement at Paradise school for boys in Abbotstown, PA he was allowed home for the weekends. This was in late 2005. Around the same time that he was coming home, him and his brother would complain that they would wake up in the middle of the night to their bed filled with bugs. Of course they told me this during the day and I found n
see full report...
show snippet only
othing so I suspected that they were dreaming. However it continued to happen and I continued to check, always coming up with nothing (it didn't help that I had no idea what I was looking for, I never knew bed bugs were real).
Finally after several weeks of this they were able to trap one on a piece of tape. By this time it was obivious by the welds on their arms and legs that something was biting them. I contacted an exterminator right away who id'ed the pest as bedbugs. We began treatment immdediately. First by disposing of both boys mattresses and boxsprings. We had bi monthly exterminations for several months to no avail.
In the meantime I called juvenille probation and parole to inquire about where they might have come from. They made no excuses that pest control issues were a huge concern for juvenille detention centers. I wish we would have known that before hand as we could have taken better precautions when my son came to visit.
The bugs ventured out to other bedrooms as well, even after so many treatments. 2 other boxsprings and mattresses were replaced and our treatments were increased to once a week. I became so allergic to the salvia from this pests that I had to see a dermotologist. Nothing we tried helped. Our exterminator was ready to give up and even had the pestiside rep come to our house and check things out. At one point we were receiving treatments twice a week even though it was illegal. God forbid that at some point in our lives we end up with cancer I will not hestitate to blame it on bedbugs.
Finally we contacted another exterminator who told us we had to remove everything, light swithes, light fixtures, outlet covers, everything and box up everything we owned. When he was done it literally looked like a hurrican had hit our house. He unloaded every packed box and sprayed, every nook and cranny in our house was sprayed. He repeated this treatment several times and finally we started to see an inprovement.
By this time we had our house for sale and had to disclose that we had bedbugs on the disclosure statement. Before we moved in our new house we had it exterminated as well, as well as everything we owned once again. By the time we moved we were happy to say we were bed bug free but this ordeal cost us over $3700 in fees and 2 years of our family suffering.