I moved into apartment 3 at in this building last May (2009), only to discover bedbugs that I believe may have already been in the building. I had known about people getting them from things from the street or used furniture, so I had been extra cautious about avoiding these kinds of items while moving. I saw the first bug in my room probably around August of last summer, it was on the wall above my bed. I killed it, and didn't think about it anymore until around November when I began to see mor
e bugs on my walls and ceiling. I did not have any bites/reactions to them, which is why it took me so long to realize what was going on. When I called my landlord to report the problem, he told me that it was "the first he had heard of it" and that I should call the building's super, the worst repair man I have ever met in my life, to take care of the problem. The super took a few weeks to return my calls, and when I finally managed to make an appointment with him, he never showed up, causing me to miss half a day of work at my job. Eventually he showed up unannounced one day and told my roommate that we had to clear out the apartment so he could come "put chemicals in our rooms". Needless to say, we never took him up on that offer, seeing as he was in NO WAY a licensed pest control specialist. He also did not speak English well enough to even explain to us what kind of chemicals he was planning on using. I attempted to call my landlord back and try to arrange for him to get a real exterminator to come and inspect the apartment, but he avoided my phone calls and never called me back. Attempting to take matters into my own hands, I cleaned as much as possible and purchased Hot Shot bedbug spray from Home Depot, which I applied around my room every few weeks. For the next two months, I didn't see anymore bugs. However, around the beginning of March they reappeared in full force. At this point I decided to give up. There were only 2 months of my lease left and I did not have enough money to get an exterminator on my own. I slept in a chair in the living room of our apartment until the end of May (2010), when I moved into a new apartment (after thoroughly washing and cleaning EVERYTHING that I still owned).
From what I can tell, nothing was ever done by the landlord of this building to remedy the bug problem. Currently, I am attempting to get my security deposit back from him, which he refuses to give me because he claims that my roommates and I caused close to 3,000 dollars worth of damage to the apartment, yet he refuses to tell us what those damages are.
So, if you or anybody you know is looking at or planning to move into this apartment, be forewarned. Not only is it infested, but the landlord and super are both incompetent assholes that will try to poison you and cheat you out of your money!