Anonymous on 09/03/2010
I stayed at this hotel for several weeks in the fall of 2009 as it was close to my office and I was without a car and needed to walk to work.
By the time I left, I was completely covered in bites. My face, neck, arms, etc. I thought it was a rash and even though I saw bugs and blood spots, it didn't occur to me that it was a bedbug issue.
A couple of months later, I saw the same bugs in my bed at home. Apparently the bedbugs had hitched a ride on my clothes and luggage and within a
matter of weeks, my entire house was infested.
I had to throw away all of my furniture and replace the bed. It cost $4200 to have the bedbugs exterminated.
I called the hotel and informed them of the issue and they replied that they did not nor ever have bedbugs.
Jean Barker on 08/08/2010
I stayed there on the 5th and 6th of August 2010. The room appeared clean although the lights weren't all working and it wasn't exactly what I'd expect from a national chain. I noticed a few bites on the morning of the 6th, but assumed it was just an allergy due to sleep deprivation (I traveled from South Africa). I have never encountered bed bugs as we don't really have them in South Africa.
On the 6th, I woke up itching, and realised what had happened when I noticed blood stains from bugs I
'd crushed in my sleep, and spotted a few crawling around. When I finally managed to find the owner he claimed they sprayed regularly, and offered to move me to a new room - he didn't seem to realise that this would spread the bugs! He didn't offer to take care of my laundry, spray it, or refund me. He claimed the rooms were regularly sprayed but when I asked to borrow the spray or for the maintenance person to be called in, he backed off and said I should come back at 9am.
Customer support for the group was not only unsympathetic but actually rude to me, and told me to deal with the hotel directly or wait three days. When I tried to explain that this wasn't an option, she actually put the phone down on me mid-sentence. Unusually bad service for the USA, in my limited experience.
Later the other - much younger - guy who worked there apologised and agreed to a refund for one of the nights I'd sayed there, but also didn't seem to have anything to offer to help me in the form of spray or compensation. They were fully booked at the time, so I hope they didn't put a new guest in the infested room.
I had to launder all my clothes, throw away my suitcase and the clothes I wore to the laundry, and locked my teddy bear in the rental car boot and sprayed it every ten minutes for the day.
I'd follow up further, but I'm scared they'll offer me a free stay to compensate, and I actually couldn't imagine anything worse.
I wouldn't suggest staying there. Rather try Howard Johnson - I've moved there and though it's more expensive, it's costing me less in the long run!