On behalf of the Radisson LAX Hotel, please allow me to respond to the anonymous guest reports of bed bugs. Radisson LAX does not have a bed bug problem – on the contrary Radisson LAX has preventative measures and protocol which are proactive and exceed what most other hotels are doing in the city and county of Los Angeles.
Our strategy continues to grow as new ideas are brought to the table. Radisson LAX made bed bug education and early detection a priority in late 2009 when news regar
ding the epidemic began appearing. In addition to employee educational seminars, we wish to share some of the practices we have implemented in our prevention program. We hope that knowing how diligent we are will ease your mind. We perform in-depth preventative inspections daily, weekly and monthly. Daily by our trained room attendants who check the rooms in key areas such as under furniture, behind headboards, cushions, and nooks in furniture to name a few; Monthly, by our preventative licensed exterminator visits; and then at least once a year, by licensed dogs brought in to spot check rooms per month as well as public and back of house spaces. In addition to that:
• We wash all bedding regularly in hot water. The water is at least 120 degrees. This temperature kills anything,
• We vacuum floors regularly, using the brush tool to vacuum the mattress and the narrow tool to vacuum crevices in the mattress and baseboards.
• Our new steam cleaner heats water to 340 degrees and is used on carpets and upholstery.
• CO2 chambers are used to test unoccupied rooms
• Our Sleep Number Beds are hypoallergenic, Bed-Bug resistant, and amazingly comfortable.
• Staff training takes place monthly by our laundry vendor and licensed exterminators, helping us identify what to look for and where to look.
• Finally, we have Heat Chambers which are available to guests who wish to treat their belongings at arrival or prior to departure.
Once we learn of a guest's concerns about bugs, we immediately remove the guest room from service and contact a nationally recognized pest control expert to conduct a thorough examination of the guest room and surrounding rooms. On the few occasions when this issue has been raised by guests, that examination failed to find any trace of bed bugs. However, we followed our deep-cleaning bed bug treatment protocol for the guest room just to be thorough and eliminate any fear of infestation.
The safety of our guests and the cleanliness of our facilities are top priorities. In fact, in our October 2010 mandated customer service survey completed by an independent, professional third-party, we scored 99% on our overall cleanliness scores including guest rooms, restaurants, lobby, rest rooms, and public space. This score put us well above our competitors in Los Angeles.
The trained and knowledgeable housekeeping staff at the Radisson LAX Hotel is the best line of defense against bed bugs along with our regular inspections. We pride ourselves on keeping our teams equipped with the knowledge, training, and tools needed to identify and address any issues. And we regularly review our housekeeping standards and procedures to ensure that each of our guests enjoys a safe, clean and comfortable environment in our hotels.
We want to be transparent with you, our procedures took time and effort to develop and although we cannot guarantee we will never have an issue, we take this matter very seriously - as we do everything that involves guests of Radisson LAX, and that we can guarantee!
PORTFOLIO HOTELS & RESORTS
Area Managing Director
6225 West Century Blvd.
Los Angeles, Calif. 90045